Penda Health is an award-winning startup company that is transforming healthcare in Kenya by making extremely high-quality healthcare accessible to every family and offering unparalleled patient experiences. Our vision is to be the most trusted healthcare provider in all of Africa.
Today, Penda has 5 outpatient medical centres in Nairobi and treats 50,000 patients a year. We’ve invented a model that profitably delivers quality care to our families for only 900 ksh on average for a visit.
We’re expanding rapidly; by 2018 every Nairobian will be within 1 matatu stop of a Penda Medical Centre. We’re raising our Series B to expand through Kenya, begin expansion into Uganda and Tanzania and to begin research on the rest of the healthcare space, including hospitals.
Penda is raising its Series B financing to expand through the rest of Nairobi, Kenya and to begin East African expansion. You and your manager Nicholas, one of Penda’s cofounders, are responsible for closing the round successfully. You will research our expansion plans; build our financial model and investor pack; target investors; support Nicholas in the fundraising and negotiation process; and manage the entire investment process, including due diligence, working with early investors, and legals.
- Join one of Nairobi’s fastest growing startups as we scale through Africa
- Manage Series B investment processes from beginning to close
- Exposure and understanding of the whole company, working directly for Penda cofounder
Responsibilities and Duties
- Understand the in and outs of Penda Health, its business model, operations and strategic vision.
- Complete all the research needed to prepare for the fundraise including data to support Penda’s next phase of expansion through Uganda and Tanzania, research on other verticals in healthcare, the trends of the market, competitive information, relevant investment benchmarks, etc.
- Meet with the dozens of industry leaders to collect data, benchmarks and strategic input to our plan
- Work with Nicholas to craft a clear and compelling description of the growth plan and investment opportunity
- Build Penda’s financial model, investor deck, summary deck and full investor pack that we’ll use to close the round
- Manage the fundraising process including updating investors, following up with all investors, negotiation, and responding to questions
- Manage the investment process including all conversations with early Penda investors, due diligence, kyc, corporate secretary, legal docs and disbursement
- Importantly, both processes need to be highly organized and communicated well. You’ll proactively identify, communicate and solve obstacles that come up on your own.
- Do the 100s of little things that come up in the process of fundraising
- Be a great teammate and go above and beyond for your colleagues
- We’re a startup – be ready to help with whatever comes your way
Qualifications and Skills
- 3-5+ years professional experience. Bonus points for experience in consulting, investment or investment analysis
- Have created great financial models and investor presentations before
- Have great organizational skills. Be the type of person that relies on a system, not your memory to manage all your workstreams.
- Ability to work independently, manage yourself and your work. You’ll be leading our processes with little oversight
- Take feedback and criticism of work really well, without defensiveness
- Fun to do strategy with
- Great hustle. Ready to work long, hard hours!
Benefits and Perks
- Startup compensation
- Surprisingly good benefits for a start up: healthcare package, emergency loans, flexible hours, etc.
- Opportunity for stock option based compensation for the right candidate
Deadline to apply: July 5th.